Thursday, August 5, 2010

My 'Fro Woes


As I sit in my bathroom after washing and conditioning my hair, I become frustrated! Since becoming a naturalista, I have had failed attempts at achieving a curly like afro. My hair is too soft to make the rounded off look I see so many natural divas rocking!


I have tried it all; air drying, diffusing, scrunching while diffusing, etc. I have flat twisted, braided, two strand twist, three strand twist, bantu knotted my self crazy. Nothing will work. Don't get me wrong, I love my curl pattern (3b,c,4a) but I want VOLUME,  VOLUME, VOLUME, and MORE VOLUME!!! I am becoming obsessed but from I am learning from the 1,000 and one natural hair gurus on youtube, is that when traveling on this natural hair journey I have to be patient. Although it has been more than two years since my last relaxer I am still de-programming my mind from the instantaneous changes that I was accustomed to that came from the "creamy crack" process. I have to accept that my natural curls require an abundance of T.L.C.

It is a constant process. Some say, "A" is for afro but right now I feel as if "A" is for aggravation! Maybe one day when Im not trying to make it afro like it will take shape on its own. Do you think its possible? Lets cross our fingers.


I did a braid/two strand twist combo yesterday after washing.After washing, deep conditioning, and detangling with the denman brush I sectioned my hair off and braided the roots. Next I two-strand twisted the ends. Added coconut oil and let it air dry. After drying over night, I separated each braid/twist and lightly fingered through it.





As you can see from the look on my face I was not all that pleased with the outcome. I think its cute if this was the look I was shooting for but thats not the case. I was attempting to stay away from the "mushroom" look.


No comments:

Post a Comment